Well-Trained Mind Press’ Copyright for Home Use
Well-Trained Mind Press has a generous copyright policy that allows families to make multiple copies of the student materials for use within the household. For example, if the Jones family household has 5 children, they can buy one book and make 5 copies of student materials for their use. They may not, however, make 7 copies to accommodate the 2 children of their dear friends, the Smiths. The Smiths must buy a copy of the student material and make copies for their own children.
In addition, our copyright allows you to use digital material (PDFs, MP3s, or eBooks) on multiple devices, again, for use by the purchaser’s household family and not for posting or streaming to others.
Group Instruction: Acquiring Consumable Student Materials
Instructors who teach children other than those in their own household family can acquire consumable student materials in a few ways:
- Require families to purchase the printed or PDF materials for their use. This is cost-effective when families expect to use the materials with multiple children. The instructor need not be involved with materials reimbursement or distribution. Purchase from our website.
- Purchase consumable student materials from Well-Trained Mind Press.
We offer volume discounts and for incorporated organizations, school discounts. PDFs are available only from Well-Trained Mind Press. Email our school specialist at email@example.com.
- Buy a license for the right to reproduce student materials. The instructor purchases the title’s PDF and distributes the relevant sub-PDFs in student assignments. The license fee is per student, per title, per year. Read on for further information.
Well-Trained Mind Press Licenses
Instructors can purchase a license to reproduce consumable student materials while respecting the Well-Trained Mind Press copyrights. The license fee is--
- Per student - The license fee is based on the number of students using the title.
- Per title - A license covers specific title(s).
- Per year - The license is valid for one year. If the student continues to use the same material in a second year, the license needs to be renewed.
Do I Need to Purchase a License?
Find the statement below that most closely matches your situation. If you need to purchase a license, jump to the “How to Purchase a License” section for further information.
I am using the consumable student material with my household family members.
You do not need to purchase a license. Purchase one copy for use within your household (or if it is more convenient than copying, purchase additional Student Pages for each student).
I plan to share the materials with other families (pod-school, micro-school, co-op, informal sharing) and each family will purchase the materials for their own students.
You do not need to purchase a license. The family will have the right to use the student materials by making the purchase themselves, and the PDFs will always be available to them in their Well-Trained Mind account.
I plan to share the materials with other families--pod-school, micro-school, co-op, informal sharing--and I want to provide the student materials for my students.
Maybe you need a license. You have some options.
- Purchase the printed books from Well-Trained Mind Press to get a volume discount; or
- Purchase the books from Well-Trained Mind Press and get a school discount, if your organization is incorporated; or
- Purchase a license to distribute materials to the students in printed or digital format.
Regardless of the method of instructional delivery, one of these statements must be true for legal use of Well-Trained Mind Press titles:
- A copy of the consumable student materials has been purchased by or for each family; or
- The school/instructor has purchased a per-student license to reproduce the consumable student materials for each book, each year.
How to Purchase Student Materials and/or a License
All of our titles (physical or digital format, instructor and consumable materials, audiobooks and more) are available from our online store.
If you require invoicing, or wish to get a volume or school discount, send email to our school specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org. She can establish the account and tell you about discounts.
If you wish to purchase a license, send email to email@example.com.
If you have questions about licensing or about Well-Trained Mind curriculum or products, email Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please review our licensing policies in the next section so you will know your rights when using Well-Trained Mind Press titles in group instruction--particularly in an online or hybrid setting.
Licensing Principles and Terms
We never license our content in part or in its entirety for inclusion in another vendor’s curriculum or product. If you see this, it’s illegal: don’t purchase the materials and send an email to email@example.com to let us know.
A Primary License covers the essential student material for each curriculum series. (Titles of student materials vary: Student Pages, Student Workbook, Year.)
Some of our series have Supplementary Student Materials: The Story of the World, The History of the World, and Math With Confidence. You can buy Supplementary materials standalone with a la carte pricing, or you can add them to a Primary License at a discounted license fee.
Schools that purchase a Full Series license (all four volumes of The Story of the World Student Pages, or all available grade levels of Math With Confidence, for example) get a deeper discount on the license fee.
Licenses are purchased per-student, per title, per year. Licenses must be renewed each year for any materials the students will continue to use after the end of the year. If new student(s) enter the instructional offering, the additional license(s) fees must be paid by the end of the month in which they enter.
Licensed student materials are to be distributed to the students you are teaching, but no further. We require that you take extra precautions when distributing or sharing digital materials.
- You may read our books aloud to your class, and you may record your reading.
You may share that recording on your school’s online platform or another closed group or platform with access available only to your students. If you wish to use our pre-recorded audiobook to read aloud to your students, please send an email to Customer Service firstname.lastname@example.org to make your request.
- You may not distribute (electronically or physically) Well-Trained Mind Press materials in a way that would allow them to be used beyond the rights extended in the copyright or license agreement.
- You may send students their assignments containing up to 10% of the complete PDF, but you may not distribute the full content of a licensed publication in a single unit.
To send assignments to the students, create a sub-PDF of no more than 10% of the full content, and send them the sub-PDF. Students can complete and return their assignments as you wish: digitally, on paper, or scanned. Free websites can teach you how to create a sub-PDF. We have used this one with success: www.smallpdf.com/split-pdf.
Do you have further questions? Please email email@example.com, or look for more FAQs as we post them in the Schools, Group Instruction, Purchasing section.