How to Diagram Any Sentence: Exercises to Accompany The Diagramming Dictionary is a workbook that pairs with The Diagramming Dictionary (required) to help students master sentence diagramming. Full answers are provided at the back of the workbook.
Diagramming a sentence shows you whether a sentence is – or isn't – working, and it unlocks the door to clear, balanced writing. These exercises by grammar expert Susan Wise Bauer and veteran grammar teacher Jessica Otto use sentences written by classic and contemporary authors to give students practice in every diagramming rule covered in The Diagramming Dictionary, from simple noun-verb sentences to challenging, complex sentences from Dickens and Sayers.
Who should buy How to Diagram Any Sentence?
People who want to improve their understanding of good writing, or who want to improve their ability to teach others how to diagram sentences as a means of improving their writing.
What do I need to buy to use How to Diagram Any Sentence? What formats are available?
- Both are available in physical format - The Diagramming Dictionary in hardback and How to Diagram Any Sentence in paperback.
- Both are available in digital formats:
- PDF if you want to print the materials or use them on your tablet or laptop, or
- eBook if you want to do any writing on your own paper.
Is the How to Diagram workbook required to use First Language Lessons or Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind?
How to Diagram Any Sentence is an optional supplement and can be used with any vendor’s grammar curriculum. It is not a standalone curriculum.
Does How to Diagram Any Sentence include a scripted instructor guide?
No, it's an exercise book meant for independent use by the student, using The Diagraming Dictionary as a guide.
How might I use How to Diagram Any Sentence (HtoD) with my students?
- Use How to Diagram Any Sentence alongside Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind (GftWTM). How to Diagram Any Sentence uses sample sentences from each of the GftWTM workbooks, so you will occasionally encounter a familiar sentence.
How to Diagram Any Sentence corresponds to (actually relies on) The Diagramming Dictionary, and it does not match the order of instruction in the GftWTM student workbooks; it is easy enough to look up a rule and use the practice sentences to reinforce a rule in GftWTM.
- Use How to Diagram Any Sentence as a brush-up between years of diagramming instruction or for additional practice. This is especially useful in a classroom setting.
- To learn about licensing right to distribute consumable student materials in a classroom setting, check out this Help Center FAQ.
See our intrepid editor unbox the first copies, after facing the dangers of deer-hunting season! You'll also get a bit of a product description.
Watch a YouTube video that will help you get started with diagramming.